Home of The Small Art Company and a bit of British all sorts about my family, kids, home, art, mixed media, craft, photography, illustration, travel, cooking, organisation, teaching... Good to see you:)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Sloppy Joes!

I'd planned to make burgers last Saturday. Homemade burgers taste so much better than shop-bought ones. There's also the added bonus of knowing exactly what goes in them, so I don't mind the kids having them now and again!

However, I then came across a recipe for Sloppy Joes on Angie's wonderful blog, Echoes of Laughter. I didn't exactly know what a sloppy Joe was, but looking at the mouthwatering picture and the ingredients, they didn't look too dissimilar to burgers. So, I made them and they were delicious!



Here's the recipe (slightly adapted) from Angie's blog:

Ingredients:
500g minced beef
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 chopped red pepper
2 stalks of celery, chopped
Half a cup of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1.5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
Burger buns

Directions:
Cook the mince, onion, peppers and celery in a frying pan, wok or saucepan. When the meat is cooked, drain any fat.

While this is cooking, mix the remainder of the ingredients (er... apart from the burger buns!) in a bowl. Stir this into the beef mixture and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring now and again.

Serve on burger buns. We also had potato wedges and salad. Honestly, you have to make these!

I always Google something when I'm not sure about it and was interested to read Wikipedia's list of other names for Sloppy Joes: Barbecues, Dynamites, Gulash, Hot Tamales, Manwich, Sloppy Janes, Slushburgers, Steamers, Taverns, Victory Burgers, Wimpies and Yum Yums! What a varied list of names! Basically, for anyone unsure, they're sloppy burgers.

Anyway, just a note to add - I've got a load of tutorials planned. Mainly polymer clay and household organisation at the moment. And I haven't forgotten Travel Tuesday! Today's post was meant to be Travel Tuesday, but I hadn't got round to thinking about it, plus I wanted to share the recipe with you! 







6 comments:

  1. mmmmm i've never made homemade burgers but i would like to, as you say you know what goes in them

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should give them a go! Would be lovely to have on your winter camping trips! Hmm, perhaps a bit fiddly though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! This had made my tummy rumble. I love making (and eating!) homemade burgers :) Hx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, they taste so much better don't they?! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, these look yummy, might have to make some for me tea!! Thanks for stopping by on my blog and commenting, always good to get feedback!! Sue

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!