Home of The Small Art Company and a bit of British all sorts about my family, kids, home, art, mixed media, craft, photography, illustration, travel, cooking, organisation, teaching... Good to see you:)

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Far less stressed now!

I was doing so well... and now 2 months since I last blogged. I guess I kind of made a conscious decision to cut back on the online stuff. It was getting so stressful, trying to promote my little business and spend time with Little W and Toddler W, as well as working in my other jobs! I don't want to look back in 10, 20 years and wish I'd spent more time with my kids. I didn't even do that much online really, maybe half an hour a day, but it felt like a lot longer due to contstant interruptions!



I think it was more the stress of listing items, adding them to CraftJuice, Flickr, Facebook etc. and then all the different Folksy and Etsy forum threads. Anyway, I've been a lot happier since I stopped the promotion and have actually had 3 sales this week. I think I should continue the no promotion strategy:)



Then there was me being a Jack of all trades when I wanted to be a master of one. Regular readers will know I'm forever saying I'm going to be doing such and such from now on, then I'll try it for a bit and want to try something else! I've realised that that's me though. I've always liked variety in life, be it in work, travel, cooking... everything really! So when it comes to craft, I'm not going to restrict myself anymore. It may not be the best business move, but it's what I like to do.

I've also been concentrating more on my writing and illustrating. I would really like to make this a new career, something that pays me proper money (not that I'm expecting a fortune at all!). I am of course, extremely grateful to every single one of my customers! But crafting doesn't pay the bills unfortunately. 


I'm going to start posting my journey through illustration, from initial concept to maybe, just maybe, a published book. If it never happens, well, at least I'm having fun trying!

These pics are a bit random, but thought you might like to see some of my abstract work. Remember coconut mushrooms from Woolies' Pick 'n Mix??

4 comments:

  1. Love the images (especially the last one - stunning) and what a great blog post! I too find it all a bit overwhelming and while I think i do get more sales if I am 'around' on the net more, sometimes it seems to make no difference either way

    And, as you say, it's important to live your life, not spend all your free time feeling you should update this and that - it can be tricky to find the time to actually make anything if you're promoting all the time!

    I also tend to flit from one thing to another so well done embracing that but also making the decison to really head in one direction with the illustrations - looking forward to hearing about how this goes and where that takes you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I know, it can be really hard to fit it all in. It's easy to take over your life, so it is important to find a balance. Good luck with your sales:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vic

    Know exactly what you mean with online stuff and having time to just enjoy things (and I don't even have kids to think about), my online activity has gone way down, i'm trying to blog when I can, and i think I'll end up closing folksy shop and then keep etsy a little longer...even tho only one sale lol I prefer it.

    I may well try a craft fair some time, just see reactions to my items (varied items) I'll just need to find a non expensive one and then actually make some stuff! Had a creative block for a while.

    Good idea trying for illustration/writing, I remember back in college I actually sent a novel off to publisher- not accepted and re-reading it I decided I didn't like it, but I did it! I have lurking about 3 stories, bits written here and there and I have the idea in my head, it's just getting it out. You never know what will happen both JK Rowling and Terry Pratchett started with a family and had a different career before writing.

    Let me know hoe you get on, it's great to hear other ppl with similar experiences...I'm still debating my 'final' career...I think this will be a combination of jobs, a while ago some one suggested accountancy as I do a fair bit of things at work now...not too sure on that, not a maths person, but maybe an assistant get some decent £ to fund other things! Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sarah, yeah, it is hard knowing which direction to go sometimes. Maybe I'll always be a wanderer..! Let me know if you decide to do a craft fair; I do enjoy doing them. Good luck with your decisions:)

      Delete

I love to read your comments!