Home of The Small Art Company and a bit of British all sorts about my family, kids, home, art, mixed media, craft, photography, illustration, travel, cooking, organisation, teaching... Good to see you:)

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Driverless Cars

Is anyone else excited about the driverless cars that have been in the news over the past few weeks? As a non-driver, I am so excited about them!

Think of all the things you could do instead of driving. You could have an extra hour's sleep on your way to work, surf the web, eat lunch, kids could take themselves to school...

I think a lot of people will hate not being in control, which is understandable, but for many, it will be a lifeline to independence. Blind people, children, anyone who can't drive for whatever reason, will benefit.

They say that cars will be able to drive at high speed almost bumper to bumper. The cars have already been tested in the States and Spain without problem. I guess the one issue would be whether the cars' computers could be hacked. A pretty big problem of course, but one I hope can be avoided.

Here's me at Legoland in Denmark back in the '80s!


That's about as far as my driving experience goes. I've always wished that I wanted to drive, but I just don't. I'm not sure if it's because I lost a lifelong friend in an accident (she was crossing the road, the driver thought it was OK to carry on through a red light) when we were 17, or maybe I'd have always been terrified at the thought of it. Or maybe growing up where I did, a car wasn't really necessary. Not driving though has stopped me from applying for certain jobs and prevented me from seeing friends, especially since I moved out of London. So you see, I've always dreamt of these sorts of cars, although my vision was more of little bubble cars on monorails!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!