Home of The Small Art Company and a bit of British all sorts about my family, kids, home, art, mixed media, craft, photography, illustration, travel, cooking, organisation, teaching... Good to see you:)

Friday, January 20, 2012

London Commuting and Stress!

I was thinking on my way to work the other day, that half the stress of work is the commuting and everything that entails. When I was at university and for 10 years afterwards, I was on the train and Tube every day. First of all, you have to make sure you leave the house on time so you don't miss your train, then you wonder if you'll actually be able to squeeze on, then if you'll be able to get off again. And of course, then you have to do it all again to get home.

However, this week I've been working just around the corner from my house. Apart from 9 months in the aforementioned 13 years, I've never been able to walk to work. It was then I realised that if you take the commute out of your working day, stress levels are greatly reduced.

I felt so relaxed on my way to work. Well, I did the first day. Yesterday wasn't so stress-free. Long story, but it involved Little W who needed to get to Nursery, Toddler W who needed to be looked after, my mum, a broken windscreen wiper, pouring rain, the AA, our next-door neighbour and another family member..! And to top it all, I had to teach a, let's say... challenging, Year 4 class.

Ah well, at least I didn't have to face the Tube at the end of the day!

Thought I'd reminisce about my City and West End days with this pic of the Thames:



I do miss the posh restaurants with colleagues, popping in Selfridges at lunchtimes, the bars and theatres after work, the window displays at Christmas... But that was a period in my life that's finished now. Although I loved it at the time, I certainly wouldn't want to be doing it now I have children. OK, I suppose I could do with the odd posh restaurant or theatre trip!


2 comments:

  1. I used to commute into London every day, and I never minded it, that's how I got so much reading done:)Haven't done for many years now. I so agree with your last sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz, after I wrote it I did think that actually, depending on which journey I did, I also read loads! Thanks for commenting:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!