Serena from The Copper Swallow over at Folksy came up with the idea of doing an interview swap on our blogs. I paired up with Becky from RedBirdJewellery. I had lots of fun thinking of questions to ask her and enjoyed talking about myself too!!
After trying a number of crafts, Becky decided that jewellery making is for her. Becky designs and makes beautiful jewellery, which can be seen and bought here at her Folksy shop.
So here's Becky's interview:
1) OK, first things first, please tell me about yourself.
I’m Becky Pearce, I live in a teeny village by the North Downs, (although I’m originally a Derbyshire lass) and I live with my hubbie Richard, and 2 little girls, (5 and 2 and a half). I’m just about to finish working to become self employed to spend more time with the girls, and doing Red Bird Jewellery. Phew – can’t wait.
2) How long have you been making jewellery for and have you ever tried any other crafts?
I’ve tried every craft known to man, and stumbled upon jewellery making a year or so ago and absolutely love it. I think (and hope) I’ve finally found “my thing” but saying that I still love learning about, and trying other crafts.
3) What crafty thing would you like to try next?
I’d like to try decoupage, and pottery, but I can’t think when I’ll have the time to do something new.
4) Something all creative people like to know – where do you get your inspiration from?
I know it’s a bit of a cliché, but I am a real country girl, and I do find most of my inspiration from nature. Colours, shapes and form. I also focus on people’s jewellery when I’m talking to them which is possibly just a little unsettling!
5) Apart from making beautiful jewellery, what else do you do in your spare time?
I don’t have spare time, I work 3 days at the moment in a pretty demanding job, and have 2 young kids, so most of my time is spoken for. I make jewellery and do all the business stuff in the evenings when the kids are in bed. So that’s my spare time pretty much gone.
6) On to non-crafty things... Where is your favourite place in the world and where would you love to visit?
I’ve NEVER been out of Europe, and would love to visit New Zealand, and Thailand. Closer to home I also quite fancy going to see the northern lights one day. My favourite place in the world is probably Alport Heights, back in Derbyshire, lovely and peaceful with great views.
7) What’s your favourite season and why?
Definitely Autumn – because of the colours, the warmth, the leaves, the start of the “new term” and new projects and the long countdown to Christmas, the new boots, and tights. I love it all!
8) Is there anything that you’re secretly expert at?
Nope. ‘Fraid not. Wish there was.
9) If you could live a day in someone else’s shoes, who would it be and why?
Difficult one – no-one I can think of. Life’s pretty good.
10) One of my favourite things... food. What do you love? What do you hate?
Yum good question. But really hard to say as it depends on how I feel. I love a good curry, sausage casserole or even Japanese….I also neither love nor hate marmite – it’s just ok - which I think must make me a bit odd? (Maybe, but I'm in the middle with Marmite too!)
11) Is there anything else you would like people to know about you or your jewellery?
I love what I do, I get a real kick out of making jewellery and love trying out new things. At the moment I’m experimenting with brass and copper – gorgeous and affordable. I’m hoping to start on another design course in the new year so expect lots of new things from me!
Thanks Becky! It's been fun being nosy... erm, I mean swapping with you.