Home of The Small Art Company and a bit of British all sorts about my family, kids, home, art, mixed media, craft, photography, illustration, travel, cooking, organisation, teaching... Good to see you:)

Friday, April 4, 2014

Bacon Lasagne Recipe

My lovely friend Sian and her friend, Anne (who I'm sure is also lovely!) have set up a blog and Facebook page called Egg and Chips where they write about easy, tasty family meals. I remember Sian always asking me "what are you having for dinner/tea?" when we used to work together and it seems she is still very much interested.


I thought I'd share my bacon lasagne recipe. It's probably one of my kids' favourite meals. I wouldn't say it's the quickest, but worth it. As with all my recipes, I usually find a basic recipe from somewhere, then add a bit of another one and then make a few changes of my own. I also tend not to measure ingredients, apart from when I'm baking a cake, then I am very precise!

So...

Makes about 4 - 6 portions

Ingredients:

     For the tomato and bacon sauce:

  • 8 rashers of bacon
  • onion
  • 2 cans of tomatoes (400g)
  • Basil (dry or fresh)
  • Oregano (I always use dry)
  • Pasta sheets
     For the white sauce:
  • Ground nutmeg
  • 50g butter or margarine
  • 50g plain flour
  • Cheese (Cheddar or Parmesan)
  • 600ml milk

(Used celery as well once. Could also add peppers and mushrooms)

Method:
  1. Chop the onion and fry in some oil, then add about 1tsp of oregano and the bacon (chopped). I have also added cooked ham in the past, if I'm out of bacon or it needs using up.
  2. After about 5 minutes add the cans of tomatoes, season with black pepper if you wish and simmer for another 5 minutes or so, before adding some basil (about 20 leaves if fresh or 2 - 3tsp dried).
  3. Meanwhile, for the white sauce: pour the milk in another pan, add the flour and butter and whisk over a moderate heat. Simmer until it thickens before adding some ground nutmeg. I sometimes add a little grated cheese at this point.
  4. In a large baking tray, pour the tomato and bacon mixture and add some pasta sheets over the top. 
  5. Pour over the white sauce and then another layer of tomato sauce. Alternate until you've used up your mixtures. I usually have 3 layers of 4 pasta sheets, but it really doesn't matter.
  6. You can sprinkle some Parmesan over the top if you like.
  7. Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes on 190C/170C fan/gas 5/370F.

And that's it! Serve with salad and chunky chips or crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!